In his 29 page write-up entitled “Cult Creation“, Steve summarizes some of his unconventional hiring and team management insights. These include his suggestions to:
- Try before you buy when hiring
- Treat all candidates including those that you won’t be hiring like gold
- Develop and communicate a worst case scenario for your startup that’s better than the middle or even best case scenario of most other startups
- Set the salaries and equity awards corresponding to different competency levels for each talent type (engineering, marketing, product, …) and don’t allow for negotiations within a specific competency level
- Incentivize employees to live close to the office
You can read the full piece here.
Also published on Medium.